Pedestrian Accidents Attorneys in York PA: Know Your Rights
Each year in Pennsylvania, there are thousands of pedestrian accidents, some of which result in severe injuries or fatalities. According to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, there were 3,211 pedestrian accidents and 184 fatalities in 2022.
If you or a loved one was injured by a motor vehicle while walking, consult with an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer to understand your rights. The driver of the vehicle may be responsible for your medical bills, lost wages, and other related expenses.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents happen every day and while the causes for the accident may differ, almost all of them are preventable. Statistics show most accidents happen when a pedestrian is trying to cross the street at an intersection or mid-block, or while walking past a driveway..
Other causes of pedestrian accidents where the driver is at fault include:
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving has reached alarming levels in the last decade and is one of the main causes of pedestrian accidents. Drivers who pay attention to their phones – and not the road – are a serious risk to those around them.
- Speeding: Drivers going above the speed limit can cause a serious accident. Pedestrians hit by a speeding car can suffer life-threatening injuries by the force of the vehicle on impact.
- Driving under the influence: Drunk driving causes reduced reaction times, blurred vision, and reduced motor skills. Drivers under the influence can easily miss a pedestrian trying to cross the street.
- Disobeying traffic laws: Many drivers do not fully understand their responsibilities related to pedestrians. In Pennsylvania, drivers are required to give pedestrians the right of way at crosswalks and intersections and when walking on sidewalks. Some drivers fail to stop for walkers, resulting in a collision.
Staying Safe as a Pedestrian
Although pedestrians have the right-of-way in most cases when walking on or near a roadway or driveway, it’s still important to be alert and aware of your surroundings when walking, especially for children. If you are walking and sharing the road with motor vehicles, keep the following in mind:
- Remove your headphones when walking, especially if you are crossing the street. Your hearing is as important as your vision in staying alert.
- Keep your eyes up and on your surroundings, not on your phone.
- Before crossing the street, make eye contact or signal to drivers so they are aware you are there. If you cannot get their attention, do not cross the street.
- Look in all directions before crossing the street and continue to look left and right as you cross.
- Use crosswalks when possible. If there are no crosswalks, cross at an intersection. Crossing the street mid-block puts you at a greater risk for a pedestrian accident.
- Always use sidewalks or paths. If there isn’t a designated walking area, walk on the left side of the road as safely as possible.
Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Pedestrian accidents often result in severe or life-threatening injuries because there is nothing protecting them from the collision. Many injuries can impact the quality of life and the ability to return to work for the accident victim. Common injuries include:
- Scrapes and cuts
- Internal injuries
- Head trauma
- Broken bones
- Blunt force trauma
- Temporary or permanent paralysis
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Before you settle with an insurance company, consult a law firm that specializes in pedestrian accident cases.
Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Central Pennsylvania
At the law office of Dale E. Anstine, our experienced team of personal injury lawyers has expertise in working with injured pedestrians. Whether you were in a crosswalk, on a sidewalk, or walking along the street, if you are injured in a pedestrian accident, reach out today for a free consultation.
Our team of personal injury attorneys will help determine if you have a case, investigate the circumstances surrounding the accident, and deal with the insurance companies on your behalf. Let us help you recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages and more.
Our law firm has been practicing personal injury law in York and Adams counties, PA for decades. Let us focus on your pedestrian accident case while you recover from your injuries. We do not charge a fee for representation unless we win your case for you, so reach out today for help. We’re available 24/7 for a free consultation.