Traumatic Brain Injury Attorney in York: Know Your Rights
A Traumatic brain injury is an injury that affects how the brain works. These types of injuries are catastrophic, and are the leading cause of death and disability in the United States. Often, TMIs (as they are called), are caused by a blow to the head and result from auto accidents and workplace incidents. Those suffering a TBI may face health problems that last a few days or the rest of their lives, depending on how serious the injury.
Traumatic brain injury cases, like the brain itself, can be complicated.. Even a relatively mild injury, like a concussion, can cause a host of long-term problems for the victim, like headaches, confusion, and they can even alter their personality. The worst part-brain injuries cause permanent damage as the brain does not heal like other organs. Unlike other parts of the body, brain cells do not regenerate.
If you or someone you know is suffering from a traumatic brain injury as the result of an accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Please, contact our experienced traumatic brain injury attorneys at Dale E. Anstine right away, who will answer all of your questions, free of charge.
With compassion, we are here to take the burden off you, and to assist with the insurance calls, the doctor’s appointments, medical bills and more.
Traumatic Brain Injury Types, Symptoms and Causes
Traumatic Brain Injuries fall into three categories.
- Mild TMIs or Concussions– These are caused by a bump, blow or jolt to the head, or a hit to the body that causes the head and brain to move quickly back and forth. This sudden movement causes the brain to bounce around inside the skull and creates chemical changes in the brain and damage to brain cells. These changes in the brain can affect how a person thinks, learns, feels, acts, and sleeps. Even mild brain injuries should be taken seriously.
- Moderate– Moderate TMIs lead to more severe symptoms. In this case, victims may also experience nausea and vomiting, difficulty speaking, loss of coordination and weakness in their extremities. They may also experience seizures.
- Severe– These types of injuries lead to thousands of deaths every year. Survivors are likely to suffer long-term or life-long health problems that may impact every aspect of their lives. These health problems have been described as being similar to those of someone living with a chronic disease.
Traumatic Brain Injury symptoms may include:
- Blurred vision
- Slurred speech
- Nausea or vomiting
- Weakness or numbness in the extremities
- Loss of coordination
- Restlessness or agitation
- Emotional or behavioral problems
A person with a moderate or severe traumatic brain injury may need ongoing care to help with their recovery. These injuries account for nearly 170 deaths every day in the United States.
Common causes of traumatic brain injuries are auto and workplace accidents, defective products and falls. They can also be caused by lack of oxygen to the brain, toxic exposure, heart attack or stroke, aneurysm, and electrical shock.
Traumatic brain injuries are often the result of negligence, and in this case, victims are entitled to compensation. If the injury happened on the job, workers’ compensation will also come into play.
What Kind of Compensation is there in a Traumatic Brain Injury Case?
A traumatic brain injury can have lasting and life-altering ramifications, for the victim and their loved ones. They may suffer significant memory loss. They may not be able to return to work. They may require long-term medical treatment and care.
Traumatic brain injury victims can seek recovery of economic damages for things like medical expenses, lost wages, lost earning potential, and out of pocket expenses.
An experienced traumatic brain injury attorney can also determine if a victim can pursue damages for non-economic damages, for things like:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Psychological or psychiatric harm
- Loss of consortium—including spousal companionship and support
Contact a Traumatic Brain Injury Attorney in York, PA Right Away!
A traumatic brain injury and its aftermath are costly for victims and their families; physically, emotionally, psychologically, and financially. Victims may face long-term medical treatments and the need for continuing care. They may be unable to continue on with their career, or even work at all. The mental anguish involved in TMI injuries is often overwhelming as well. Losing the ability to do the things you once loved, everyday tasks, and in some cases, the inability to communicate at all- can all take a devastating toll on everyone involved.
Insurance companies are not looking out for the injured- they are looking out for themselves and their bottom line. Don’t accept a lowball settlement offer. Don’t sign anything.
Do contact our experienced traumatic brain injury attorneys at Dale E. Anstine for a free case evaluation. We believe in holding those who were negligent accountable. We believe in getting you every dollar needed to live the fullest life possible, and we will aggressively pursue compensation from every means possible.
Our law firm has been practicing personal injury law in York and Adams counties for decades. Let us focus on your traumatic brain injury case while you recover from your injuries. We do not charge a fee for representation unless we win your case for you, so reach out today for help.