News & Articles

Back Injury at Work and Workers’ Compensation

July 14th, 2023
Back Injury at Work

Back injuries are among the most commonly reported injuries on the job. In fact, across the U.S., one in five workplace injuries are back-related. Nearly 95% of adults with low back pain recover within a few months, while the remaining 5% develop a chronic and disabling condition.

While suffering a back injury at work can happen on any job – they are most commonly the result of work involving physical exertion such as lifting, moving, and turning.

These types of injuries often include costly medical treatment and lost time at work. Have you been injured on the job and want to know your options with workers’ compensation?

Let’s examine what a workers’ comp settlement involves, the average workers’ compensation settlement for back injury claims, what impacts your back injury compensation, and why working with an experienced workers’ compensation attorney for a back injury can help you maximize the settlement you receive.

What is Workers’ Compensation?

Under Pennsylvania law, if you sustain an injury at work, you have a right to file for workers’ compensation benefits.

Workers’ comp insurance will pay for things such as:

  • Medical expenses to treat your injuries.
  • Temporary or permanent partial or total disability benefits, which compensate you if you lose wages or earning potential on a temporary basis, because of your injuries.
  • Vocational rehabilitation if you have to train for a new job role because your injuries prevent you from doing your old one.
  • Death benefits for surviving loved ones if a work injury turns out to be fatal.

An injured workers can recover monetary payments for these losses by filing a claim after their injury on the job. In some cases, the workers’ comp insurer pays these bills just during the time in which the worker recovers from their injury -and then the case is closed.

In other cases, however, a workers’ comp settlement is needed to close out the claim. This settlement can come in the form of a lump sum payment, or it can come in structured settlement, where the injured worker receives money over time to be fully compensated for their losses.

What is the Average Workers’ Comp Settlement for Back Injuries?

After an injury at work, you’ll want to know what kind of compensation you might receive. Understanding the average settlement is important to ensure you’re not settling for less than what you’re entitled to.

It’s important to note, however, that every case is different, and your settlement amount is determined based on the unique circumstances of your situation.

If you’re wondering about average settlements for back injuries, the best thing to do is to reach out to an experienced workers’ comp attorney to share some factors surrounding your case.

What Impacts Your Workers’ Compensation Settlement for Back Injuries?

We mentioned every cased is unique, and that can lead to very different outcomes in regard to settlements. Some of the biggest factors that come into play for compensation include:

  • The type of injury – Do you have permanent damage or something that can heal with rest and rehabilitation.
  • The length of time you’re dealing with your injury – The longer an injury impacts your daily life, the more compensation you’ll typically receive.
  • The financial impact of your injury – Medical bills related to your back injury (both current and future), should be covered and if you cannot perform the duties related to your job, either now or ever, you should be compensated for income lost.

Even while considering these factors, the strength of your case is paramount. If must be clear that your injuries are related to work and duties performed on the job. This is where a workers’ comp attorney can work alongside you, to ensure you are getting maximum compensation for your workers’ compensation claim.

Workers’ Compensation Back Injury Attorney in York, PA.

Pennsylvania workers’ comp law is complex, and it can often be difficult dealing with insurance companies after an accident occurs. If you or someone you love has been injured in a work accident, it is important to act quickly and seek legal advice to protect your rights.

Our back injury attorneys at Dale E. Anstine have a long-standing winning record when it comes to helping Central Pennsylvania accident victims, winning more than $250,000,000 for our clients. We’re happy to discuss your case and help you too. Just dial 717-846-0606 or you can ask your questions through the live chat on our website. We’re available 24/7 for free consultations.